You did it! You got an offer, but is it a good one? Salary Negotiations can be a stressful time in any candidates life. Check out this two (2) minute video to hear about the basics.
Tips and Advice
- Most employers expect that you will try to negotiate. Compile all the things you want to ask for in one email or conversation. Spreading all your asks over multiple conversations or emails is seen as a red flag that you will be a high-maintenance employee.
- Do your research before you ask so you can back it up with facts and logic.
- Once you ask, be patient. You will probably have to wait for an answer so they can ask the decision maker which may or may not be them.
- Silence is your friend. Don't talk too much.
- Know what you are willing to accept.
- Do not be the first one to bring up salary. Let the employer bring it up first.
- Be prepared to not get everything you want in your ask.
- Phone or email is fine. If you're unsure about the method, put it in an email and end the email asking for a phone conversation to discuss.