Applying for admission to a Master's degree or a Graduate Certificate program requires an applicant to take a number of steps. Allowing ample time to prepare the application reduces stress and is key to a smooth submission process.
Master's and Graduate Certificate Applications for Admission
First, prepare and complete the following stepsBelow is detailed information on preparing your graduate application. Following these guidelines will ensure prompt and efficient processing of your graduate application.
Request ETS to send your score report directly to IUPUI using code 1325.
- The GRE General Test is required if you are applying for admission to an engineering graduate program (Biomedical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering). Official GRE scores must be reported directly to IUPUI from the testing agency ETS. (IUPUI institution code: 1325.)
- The GRE General Test is required if you are applying for admission to the technology graduate program (MS Technology), with the exception of the Facilities Management online program, which accepts the GMAT or GRE.
- No graduate admission exam (GRE/GMAT) is necessary to apply to the MS Technology - Organizational Leadership, MS Technology - Technical Communication or to the Human Resource Development Graduate Certificate program, if you have graduated from a U.S. accredited college or university. However, if you wish to submit those scores with your other application materials you may.
Three (3) current recommendations for graduate admission are required. Individuals writing your recommendations should be your present or former professors or instructors and academic advisors, or managers, supervisors, or project leaders you report to professionally, who are most able to comment on your academic performance, intellectual abilities, scholastic skills and aptitudes, and work ethics, if relevant. Recommendations from friends, peers, family members or relatives, and acquaintances are not acceptable. Once you submit your online application, a computer generated request for recommendations will be sent directly to the recommenders. Online recommendations are strongly preferred. However, if a recommender wishes to complete a paper recommendation, you may send this fillable form.
Write a 400-word essay summarizing your academic background, professional experience, if relevant, and your educational goals and objectives. In addition and very importantly, describe and highlight your specific area(s) of interest and focus in graduate study.
Order Official Transcript and Certified Copy of Bachelor's Degree Diploma* to be sent directly to the appropriate Purdue School of Engineering & Technology mailing address as shown in the Mailing Information below. In the meantime, scan and save a copy of your personal copies of the document to upload when you fill out the online application. One set of official academic transcripts is required from every college/university attended. If a transcript is not in English, you must provide an English translation certified by the college or university which issued the transcript. Transcripts and/or English translation must arrive in an envelope sealed by the registrar. We also accept electronic transcripts sent via eScrip-Safe, Docufide, or PDF Transcript Delivery directly from the accredited U.S. college and/or university registrar to a graduate admissions personnel in the School of Engineering and Technology Graduate Programs Office. (Contact your program’s admissions professional for an email address.) We do not accept electronic transcripts from international colleges or universities. When scanning to e-mail copies of transcripts: If personal identifying information such as a student identification number or social security number appear on the document, REMOVE THIS INFORMATION from your electronic version of your document or mark out the information in black ink before scanning your document.
* A certified copy of Bachelor's degree diploma is required only if, the degree conferred/awarded is not noted on the final transcript.
International degree-seeking applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit proof of English proficiency. The Graduate School accepts the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for admission.
The minimum sub-scores and total score required for the English language proficiency tests are as follow:
Program for Intensive English (PIE) at IUPUI
Applicants have the option to enroll in PIE prior to applying for graduate admission to Purdue degree programs at IUPUI. Applicants enrolled in PIE-Level 7 who pass all classes with grades of at least B (82%) and pass the PIE Proficiency Test Level 7 meet the English proficiency requirements for graduate admission.
For applicants who have completed a Bachelor's degree or higher from an English-speaking country, click on proof of English proficiency exemption for additional details.
Highly recommended. A resume is required for the BME and ECE application documentation.
Next, complete the IU Graduate CAS Application
To apply for admission, click on
- Create an account to login to the IU Graduate CAS application.
- To search for the program you wish to apply for admission in the IU Graduate CAS application, click the tab "Add Program".
- In the Search field type in the name of the program as shown below in the lists of engineering and technology graduate programs that are offered in the Purdue School of Engineering & Technology at IUPUI:
-- Electrical & Computer Engineering PhD
-- Mechanical Engineering PhD
Master's (MS) Degree Programs:
-- Biomedical Engineering MS
-- Biomedical Engineering MS/BS
-- BSCIT/MS Technology Combined-Degree Program
-- Electrical and Computer Engineering BS/MS
-- Electrical & Computer Engineering MSECE
-- Mechanical Engineering MSME
-- MS Technology - Applied Data Management & Analytics (ADMA)
-- MS Technology - Info Assurance & Security (InfoSec)
-- MS Technology - Facilities Management - Online
-- MS Technology - Interdisciplinary
-- MS Technology - Motorsports concentration
-- MS Technology - Organizational Leadership (On Campus)
-- MS Technology - Organizational Leadership - Online
-- MS Technology - Technical Communication - On Campus
-- MS Technology - Technical Communication - Online
Post-Baccalaureate (Graduate) Certificate Programs:
-- Computer-Aided Mechanical Engineering Grad Cert
-- Digital Signal Processing Graduate Certificate
-- Energy Management & Assessmnt Grad Cert
-- Engineering Design Innovation GR CRT
-- Human Resource Development Graduate Certificate (On campus)
-- Human Resource Development Graduate Certificate (Online)
-- Hybrid Electric Vehicle Technology Grad Cert - Electrical & Computer Engineering
-- Hybrid Electric Vehicle Technology Grad Cert - Mechanical Engineering
-- Power & Energy Processing Post-Bacc (Grad) Cert
-- Systems Engineering Grad Cert
- Complete all required information in the order presented in the IU Graduate CAS application.
- Check that you have chosen the correct graduate program.
- Add contact information for three recommenders.
- Upload the following supporting documents (.pdf file format) to the application:
- Copy of transcripts and degree diplomas
- Copy of GRE and TOEFL/IELTS score reports, if applicable
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume (Highly recommended; Mandatory for the BME and ECE programs)
- BS/MS Combined-Degree Program Students Only: Form GS-27
- Pay the online application fee.
- Submit your application.
- International applicants are required to provide additional documentation to the Office of International Affairs (OIA). After being recommended for admission, IUPUI Office of International Affairs will contact applicant regarding the required documents:
- Copy of passport photo page
- Financial Support Documents (for Visa purposes)
- If applicable, copy of immigration documentation (i.e. I-20, immigration visas, etc.)
For assistance with IU Graduate CAS application-related questions or technical issues, contact Customer Service by phone at 617-729-2866, or by e-mail at email@example.com, or click on Help Center to contact customer service by Live Chat via the icon in the lower right corner.
Mail all application materials and supporting documents to the address provided here that reflects the program you are applying to: