Applying for admission to a Master's degree or a Graduate Certificate program requires an applicant to take a number of steps. Allowing ample time to prepare the application reduces stress and is key to a smooth submission process.
Master's and Graduate Certificate Applications for Admission
First, prepare and complete the following stepsBelow is detailed information on preparing your graduate application. Following these guidelines will ensure prompt and efficient processing of your graduate application.
- The GRE General Test is required if you are applying for admission to an engineering graduate program:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Motorsports Engineering
- The GRE General Test is highly recommended* if you are applying for admission to the following technology related programs:
- M.S. in Cybersecurity & Trusted Systems (MSCTS)*
- M.S. in Technology degree program with one of the following concentrations:
- MS Technology - Applied Data Management & Analytics (ADMA)*
- MS Technology - Information Assurance & Security (InfoSec)*
Request the testing agency ETS to report your GRE scores directly to IUPUI. IUPUI institution code: 1325.
* Due to disruption from the COVID-19 pandemic, the GRE is waived for Spring 2022 and Fall 2022 admissions for the technology related programs listed above.
- No graduate admission exam (GRE/GMAT) is required to apply for admission to the programs in the following, if you have graduated from an accredited US college or university:
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resource Development (HRD).
- MS Technology - Facilities Management
- MS Technology - Organizational Leadership
- MS Technology - Technical Communication
Three (3) current recommendations for graduate admission are required. Individuals writing your recommendations should be your present or former professors or instructors and academic advisors, or managers, supervisors, or project leaders you report to professionally, who are most able to comment on your academic performance, intellectual abilities, scholastic skills and aptitudes, and work ethics, if relevant.
Recommendations from friends, peers, family members or relatives, and acquaintances are not acceptable.
Once you submit your online application, a computer generated request for recommendations will be sent directly to the recommenders. Online recommendations are strongly preferred. However, if a recommender wishes to complete a paper recommendation, you may send this fillable form.
Write a 400-word essay summarizing your academic background, professional experience, if relevant, and your educational goals and objectives. Describe how your educational training and/or work experiences and career goals and objectives have informed your decision to pursue graduate studies. In addition and very importantly, describe and highlight your specific area(s) of interest and focus in graduate study.
Official Academic Transcripts
Order official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended including any community colleges, military or specialty schools. Electronic versions of the transcripts are strongly preferred. Paper transcripts may delay processing. An official transcript is required from every college/university attended and must be sent directly from the school/s of origin to the graduate program admissions personnel/staff. Transcripts that have been sent directly to you and/or handled by you are deemed unofficial. Contact your program’s admissions professional for an email address. In the meantime, scan and upload a digital copy of the personal copies of your transcript/s when you fill out the online application.
If it is necessary to send transcript/s by post, ask your college or university to send official transcripts to the appropriate Purdue School of Engineering & Technology office mailing address as shown in the Mailing Information below.
IMPORTANT: When Scanning Copies of Transcripts to upload or email:
If personal identifying information such as DATE OF BIRTH and/or SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER appears on the document, REMOVE THIS INFORMATION from your electronic version of your document or mark out the information in black ink before scanning your document.
International Academic Transcripts and Certified Copy of Bachelor's Degree Certificate/Diploma
If a transcript is not in English, you must provide an English translation certified by the college or university which issued the transcript. International transcripts and/or the English translations plus a certified or attested copy of degree certificate or diploma awarded, if graduated with a degree, must arrive in an envelope stamped and sealed by the college or university registrar. Additionally, be sure to upload a copy of academic transcript/s plus a copy of degree certificate or degree diploma to the IU Graduate CAS application prior to submission, if degree was awarded.
Typically, electronic transcripts from international colleges or universities are not acceptable. Electronic version of transcripts from international colleges or universities are accepted on a case-by-case basis only.
International applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit proof of English proficiency. The Purdue Graduate School accepts the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the Duolingo English Test (DET) for admission.
Applicants applying for admission to Purdue graduate programs are required to meet each minimum sub-score and the total or overall score required for the English language proficiency tests as follow:
|Minimum Sub-Score Required||TOEFL Internet-based (iBT)||TOEFL Essentials||IELTS||Duolingo English Test (DET)|
|Minimum Total/Overall Score Required||Total score: 80||Total score: 8||Overall band score: 6.5||Overall score: 110|
If you are an applicant who have completed a Bachelor's degree or higher from a country where English is an official language, click on proof of English proficiency exemption for additional details. In addition, you must have completed the bachelor’s degree within the last 36 months prior to enrollment at IUPUI.
Applicants have the option to enroll in PIE prior to applying for graduate admission to Purdue degree programs at IUPUI. Applicants enrolled in PIE-Level 7 who pass all classes with grades of at least B (82%) and pass the PIE Proficiency Test Level 7 meet the English proficiency requirements for graduate admission.
Highly recommended. A resume is required for the BME and ECE application documentation.
Next, complete the IU Graduate CAS Application
To apply for admission, click on IU Graduate CAS Application
- Create an account to login to the IU Graduate CAS Application.
- Filter by IU Indianapolis campus and click on the tab "Add Program" to search for the program you wish to apply for admission in the IU Graduate CAS application,
- In the Search field type in the name of the program as shown below in the lists of engineering and technology graduate programs that are offered in the Purdue School of Engineering & Technology at IUPUI:
-- Biomedical Engineering PhD
-- Mechanical Engineering PhD
Master's (MS and MSE) Degree Programs:
-- Biomedical Engineering MS
-- Biomedical Engineering MS/BS
-- Electrical and Computer Engineering BS/MS
-- Electrical & Computer Engineering MSECE
-- Mechanical Engineering MSME
-- MS Technology - Applied Data Management & Analytics (ADMA)
-- MS Technology - Info Assurance & Security (InfoSec)
-- MS Technology - Interdisciplinary
-- MS Technology - Organizational Leadership (On Campus)
-- MS Technology - Organizational Leadership - Online
-- MS Technology - Technical Communication - On Campus
-- MS Technology - Technical Communication - Online
Post-Baccalaureate (Graduate) Certificate Programs:
-- Computer-Aided Mechanical Engineering Grad Certificate
-- Digital Signal Processing Graduate Certificate
-- Energy Management & Assessmnt Grad Certifiate
-- Human Resource Development Graduate Certificate (Online)
-- Hybrid Electric Vehicle Technology Grad Cert - Electrical & Computer Engineering
-- Hybrid Electric Vehicle Technology Grad Cert - Mechanical Engineering
-- Power & Energy Processing Post-Bac Cert
-- Systems Engineering Grad Cert
- Complete all required information in the order presented in the IU Graduate CAS application.
- Check that you have chosen the correct graduate program.
- Add accurate contact information for three references that will provide letters of recommendations.
- Upload the following supporting documents (.pdf file format) to the application:
- Copy of academic transcripts; and international applicants include a copy of international degree certificate or degree diploma
- Copy of GRE and TOEFL/IELTS score reports, if applicable
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume (Highly recommended; Mandatory for the BME and ECE programs)
- GS Form 27 - Required for students pursuing the BS/MS Combined-Degree Program. Students enrolled in a BS/MS Combined-Degree program who are applying for formal admission to the Master's program must complete GS Form 27. The document must be signed by the heads of the undergraduate and the graduate program. Check with the department graduate advisor or graduate administrative staff for how they would like you to submit Form 27.
- Submit your application.
- Pay the online application fee (US $70)
- Additional documentation *
* International applicants are required to provide additional documentation to the IUPUI Office of International Affairs (OIA). OIA will notify the applicant regarding the additional documents that are required, i.e. a copy of passport photo page; Financial Support Documents (for visa purposes); copy of immigration documentation (i.e. I-20, visas, etc.), if applicable,
- It is important that you monitor the status of your application frequently and follow up on any neccesary actions soon after you have submitted your application.
Note: The IU Graduate CAS system does not send auto reminders to recommenders/references. The applicant needs to send the reminders, if necessary. If your reference is unresponsive you may resend the recommendation request email by clicking "Edit" next to the recommendation and then “Resend Recommendation Request". Or you can change your reference if you wish.
For assistance with IU Graduate CAS application-related questions or technical issues, contact:
Applicant Customer Service:
Chat: Live Chat support located in Applicant Help Center
Mail application materials and supporting documents to the address provided here that reflects the program you are applying to: