The certificate in Leadership Studies equips students with the knowledge, skills, experiences, attitudes, perspectives, and tools necessary to understand the broad-based concepts associated with leadership in a variety of individual, organizational, and community settings in an ever changing, pluralistic, global society. A unique feature of this certificate is its ability to attract a diverse group of students from across the myriad of disciplines taught at IUPUI. Such a strong mixture of interdisciplinary perspectives augments the richness of learning that occurs in certificate courses. Upon completion of the certificate in Leadership Studies, students should be able to:
- Define and defend their personal philosophy of leadership and ethical behavior;
- Describe behavior in organizational settings at the individual, team/group, and macro-organization levels;
- Identify the stages of team development that occurs within organizations;
- Make leadership-oriented decisions that are ethically, legally, morally, and strategically sound;
- Apply concepts of supervisory management, team building, personnel selection and development, decision-making, resource allocation, conflict resolution, and strategic planning to the solving of individual, team/group, and organizational problems;
- Explain the importance of attracting, managing, and motivating a globally-diverse workforce;
- Improve individual and organizational performance by applying the appropriate leadership theories and processes in practice; and
- Evaluate the appropriateness of leadership behaviors in given situations, and make suggestions for improving those behaviors.
Students must notify OLS of their intent to pursue the certificate (call 317.278.1313 or send email with IUPUI Student ID# to email@example.com).