Candidate Checklist for PhD DEGREE
It is your responsibility to make sure all degree requirements have been met, before filing for candidacy. Registering for candidacy 3 times in a row attracts a fee of $200 from the Purdue Graduate School.To help review if all degree requirements have been met, please check against the list below:
- Cumulative GPA is at least 3.0
- Plan of study is updated with required courses for your degree, and is complete:
- Minimum of 90 graduate course and research credit hours are needed (including at most 30 credit hours from your Master’s degree)
ALL Onsite IUPUI ME PhD & PWL Cooperative ME PhD Students
- Minimum of 21 credits of graduate level coursework (500- and 600- level) beyond the Master’s degree is required, that are technical and quantitative-in-content
- Includes at least one 600-level course
- Includes 6 credit hours from the Math (MA) department
- Incudes another 3 credit hours from Math or an approved applied math course.
- Includes no more than 3 credit hours of independent study
- Includes enough credit hours of research completed with “S”, so that with your Master’s credits plus the 21 credits of PhD coursework, you achieve at least a minimum of 90 credit hours (usually more) total.
- An average of 39 Research Credit Hours should have been enrolled & completed up-to your final semester of Graduation.
- All 3 Area Exams have been passed, and any conditional passes have been completed.
- Preliminary Exam has been passed
- Two completed, registered semesters took place between the Preliminary Exam and the Final Exam.
- Final Exam (Defense with Exam Form 8)has been held, or will be held before the semester deadline, early enough to get completely approved before the deadline.
- Deposit date will be at least a day before the semester deadline.
- Make sure to register for CANDIDACY:
- Candidacy Enrollment in the semester prior to your graduation term.
- CAND 99100 for all MEE IUPUI Onsite PhD Students
- GS Form 380 for all PWL Cooperative PhD Students
PWL Cooperative PhD Students
- (submit GS Form 380 to Jerry Mooney for approvals and processing )
GS Form 380 MUST BE Submitted the Semester BEFORE your Graduating Semester contact Jerry Mooney for a copy of GS Form 380
See Deadlines for Cooperative & OnSite Phd