Systems Driven Product Development
ME 59700/ 3 Cr.
Integrated Model-based systems driven product development, or SDPD (Systems Driven Product Development) is a framework for integrating system behavioral modeling with downstream design and manufacturing practices. SDPD is an implementation of MBE (Model-based Engineering) which integrates MBSE (Model-based Systems Engineering) and PLM (Product Lifecycle Management). SDPD can also be seen as an approach to creating the “Digital Twin” of a product/process, and supporting the digital factory/digital enterprise of Industry 4.0 (4th Industrial Revolution). In addition to introducing key concepts and definitions such as MBSE (Model-based Systems Engineering), SDPD, Digital manufacturing, Digital Twin, Digital Thread, Industry 4.0, Interoperability, Traceability, Validation/Verification, Predictive analytics, etc., the course will focus on covering the key tools that enable the implementation and demonstration of System driven model-based integrated product and process lifecycle, including: Cameo (for MBSE), Amesim (for Systems simulation), NX CAD (for 3D modeling), Star-CCM+ and NASTRAN (for model analysis), Teamcenter Process planner (for process design), Tecnomatix (for process and plant simulation), HEEDS (for design optimization), and Teamcenter (for Product data and lifecycle management). The course includes at least one case study and one project that leverage these technologies to implement SDPD as a key step towards building the digital solution that drives Industry 4.0.
Primary Track: Solid Mechanics & CAE
- Available Online: No
- Credit by Exam: No
- Laptop Required: No
Cameo, Amesim, Teamcenter, NX (also, Creo), STAR-CCM+ (also, ANSYS and NASTRAN), HEEDS/Optimate, Teamcenter Process Planner, Tecnomatix Process Simulate and Tecnomatix Plant Simulation.
- Explain the concept of Systems Driven Product Development (SDPD)
- Explain the concept of Model-based Systems Engineering (MBSE)
- Explain the concepts of Digital manufacturing, Digital twin, and Digital thread
- Explain the concepts of Traceability, Verification, Validation, Interoperability, and Predictive analytics
- Explain the concept of 1D-3D co-simulation as well as apply it for efficient SDPD process
- Explain the role of data analytics and IoT in achieving the digital enterprise
- Use state-of-the-art tools for the implementation of SDPD effectively and intelligently
- Apply the integrated platform of digital tools in real life applications by completing case studies/projects
- Perform Model based systems traceability, validation, and verification
- Apply the digital twin to control quality before actual production
- Apply process improvement techniques such as six sigma within the SDPD framework
- Systems, Systems Thinking, Systems Engineering, Model-based Systems Engineering, and product lifecycle
- Systems driven model-based product development or SDPD
- Digital Manufacturing, Digital twin, Digital Thread, and Digital Enterprise
- 1D-3D co-simulation
- Model based systems Traceability, Verification, Validation, Interoperability, Predictive analytics, etc.
- Model based systems engineering using Cameo®
- 1D systems simulation using Amesim®
- 3D modeling using NX/Creo®
- CFD/FEA analysis using Star-CCM+®/NASTRAN®/ANSYS®
- Design exploration and optimization using HEEDS®
- Process design using Teamcenter Process Planner®
- Process and plant simulation using Tecnomatix®
- Virtual manufacturing using NX CAM® and NX Additive® (If time allows)
- Product lifecycle management of data and product using Teamcenter®
- Using the digital twin for quality control
- Process improvement using Six Sigma
- Other tools for achieving the digital twin and digital threads such as IoT using ThingWorx®/Mindsphere® and Analytics using Omneo® (If time allows).