Intermediate Heat Transfer
ME 50500/ 3 Cr.
Heat and mass transfer by diffusion in one-dimensional, two-dimensional, transient, periodic, and phase change systems. Convective heat transfer for external and internal flows. Similarity and integral solution methods. Heat, mass, and momentum analogies. Turbulence. Buoyancy-driven flows. Convection with phase change. Radiation exchange between surfaces and radiation transfer in absorbing-emitting media. Multimode heat transfer problems.
Primary Track: Fluid & Thermal Sciences, Energy, Materials
- Available Online: No
- Credit by Exam: No
- Laptop Required: No
Pre-requisite: ME 31401
- Build on an existing undergraduate background in heat transfer.
- Explain the physical origins and modes of heat transfer and establish the relationship of these origins to the behavior of thermal systems.
- Derive partial differential equations for conduction and convection problems from first principles (conservation equations).
- Solve partial differential equations (analytically, when possible, and reasonably approximately) of selected conduction and convection problems.
- Solve external and internal flow convection problems for geometries such as tubes, tube banks, packed beds etc.
- Apply radiation concepts such as blackbody radiation, view factor etc. to problems involving a participating medium.
- Perform the kind of engineering analysis (using numerical or empirical methods) that, even though not exact, still provides useful information concerning the design and/or performance of a system or process.
- Identify a research problem in one area of heat transfer, conduct literature search and develop an analytical or numerical approach related to the identified problem and report in a research paper format.
- Review of Basic Concepts and Laws
- Generalized Conservation Equations
- One Dimensional, Steady Diffusion
- Multi-dimensional and Transient Diffusion
- Special Topics: Periodic Diffusion, Diffusion with Phase Change, Integral Methods
- Implication of the Conservation Equations
- Turbulent Flow
- Boundary Layer Solutions: Similarity and Integral
- External Flow: Forced Convection Correlations
- Internal Flow
- Free Convection
- Mixed Convection
- Heat Transfer with Phase Change
- Surface Radiation Properties
- Surface Radiation Exchange
- Volumetric Effects