Energy Assessment of Industrial Processes
ME 50101/ 3 Cr.
The course provides and analyzes methodologies for improving energy efficiency in the manufacturing sector. The manufacturing equipment and processes will be analyzed in terms of energy consumption and optimization. It provides the technical and analytical foundation for students on assessing industrial processes to evaluate measures for optimizing energy efficiency in industrial, electrical, motor drive, compressed air, process heating, process cooling, lighting, space conditioning, combined heat and power systems. This course is designed for students who are interested in energy efficiency.
PRIMARY TRACK: Energy
- Available Online: No
- Credit by Exam: No
- Laptop Required: No
Upon the completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Master the common industrial processes and evaluate them in terms of energy consumption.
- Apply engineering principles on various energy sources and their industrial applications.
- Design the energy assessment process for various energy systems
- Determine the key measurable parameters for each system analysis and provide adequate measurements using basic metrology equipment.
- Analyze the energy system, identify alternatives, and optimize the energy consumptions
- Make recommendations for energy consumption improvement.
- Quantify energy saving based of the improvement recommendation.
- Produce professional technical reports and presentations.
- Energy conservation and irreversibility concepts for energy systems analysis.
- Process analysis of heating, cooling and power generation.
- Reynolds’s Transport Theorem, conservation of mass, momentum & energy for fluid flow analysis of manufacturing processes
- Heat and mass transfer modes for ovens, boilers and insulation for equipment and industrial facility.
- Manufacturing process analysis for energy consumption and energy efficiency improvement through the application of economic, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamic principles.
- Energy performance and energy efficiency savings for manufacturing processes.
- Analysis of manufacturing component in terms of energy consumption and identify the areas of efficiency improvement.
- Lighting and Building envelop principle.