Mechanical Engineering Lab V
ME 42501/ 1 Cr.
Experiments on testing of mechanical measurements and control systems.
- Available Online: No
- Credit by Exam: No
- Laptop Required: No
Co-requisite: ME 48200
Modern Control Engineering, Ogata, Prentice Hall, 5th Edition.
Theory and Design for Mechanical Measurements, Figliola and Beasley, Wiley, 6th Edition
- Apply basic knowledge of measurement systems towards measurements, including error analysis, interpretation, experimental uncertainty, calibration, etc.
- Apply probability and statistics to interpret experimental data, which has some variability and randomness.
- Apply basic concepts of frequency response, gain, damping in measurement systems.
- Analyze and select digital instrumentation systems for measurement.
- Apply basic concepts in measurement of strain and stress, pressure, temperature, fluid velocity, and fluid flow to solution of given problems.
- Analyze dynamic systems and measuring devices including transient response and frequency response.
- Apply basic mathematical concept to identify first and second order dynamic systems.
- Explain the concept of feedback control.
- Explain the concepts of stability and accuracy for control.
- Relate the zeros and poles of a system to its time response.
- Design lead, lag and lead-lag compensators for a given system to meet the given design specifications.
- Design a control system by using both Bode plots and by root-locus using MATLAB and prepare a written report.
- Work in teams to conduct experiments effectively and efficiently.
- Compile, analyze and interpret collected experimental data and prepare technical reports.
- Natural frequency and mode shapes of a cantilever beam
- Data analysis and simulation of dynamic response
- Measurement of transverse characteristics of a beam
- Analog measurement of stress and strain
- Temperature measurement thermocouples
- Pressure measurement
- Project: Filter
- Bump Test
- 1st, 2nd order control principles
- PD Control
- Laser Cutting, Box Making
- 3D Printing
- Machining Operations