Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer
ME 31401/ 3 Cr.
Fundamental principles of heat transfer by conduction, convection, and radiation; mass transfer by diffusion and convection. Application to engineering situations.
- Available Online: No
- Credit by Exam: No
- Laptop Required: No
Pre-requisites: ME 31002 or EEN 31000
Co-requisites: ME 35001 or EEN 35001
TextbooksFundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, Bergman and Lavine, Wiley 7th or latest Edition.
- Explain the physical origins of heat and mass transfer, identify important modes of heat transfer in a given situation, and make appropriate assumptions.
- Calculate heat transfer rate and temperature distribution in steady-state one-dimensional heat conduction problems.
- Sketch temperature profiles in one-dimensional heat transfer, showing the qualitative influence of energy generation, non-planar geometry, or time dependence.
- Calculate the rate of steady heat transfer in fins, and unsteady heat transfer in lumped-capacitance and semi-infinite solid problems.
- Calculate the rate of mass diffusion in one-dimensional problems, with or without bulk motion effects.
- Explain the terms in the governing equations for convective heat and mass transfer.
- Estimate convective transfer rates on the basis of geometric and dynamic similarity, and analogy between different convective transport processes.
- Calculate heat and mass transfer rates in external and internal flows, including flat plates, cylinders, pipes, heat exchangers, and free convection at vertical surfaces.
- Explain how radiation can be described based on its wavelength, source, and direction, and explain the basic concepts of blackbody radiation, reflectivity, emissivity, and absorptivity for surface radiation.
- Apply the laws of radiation to compute heat transfer rates for surfaces, such as black bodies and diffuse gray surfaces, with appropriate approximations.
- Calculate and use the view factor for simple surface combinations, and the total emissivity for surfaces.
- Rate equations and conservation laws
- Diffusion of heat and mass
- The diffusion equation
- One dimensional steady state conduction
- Two dimensional steady state conduction
- Transient conduction
- Boundary layers, analogies
- External flow
- Internal flow
- Free convection
- Mixed convection
- Fundamental concepts
- Radiation exchange between surfaces
- Multi-mode heat and mass transfer