Energy Engineering Lab IV
EEN 35001/ 1 Cr.
Experiments on testing of heat and mass transfer, and energy engineering.
- Available Online: No
- Credit by Exam: No
- Laptop Required: No
Reference: Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, Bergman and Lavine, Wiley, 7th Edition.
Principles of Solar Engineering, Goswami, Taylor & Francis, 3rd Edition.
- Operate and explain the function of typical mechanical systems, such as cam-follower systems and planetary gear trains.
- Measure and explain the effect of design parameters on system dynamics and performance, including the effect of cam profile on the dynamics of a cam-follower system and the effect of unbalance on the performance of a rotor.
- Calculate and measure the speed reduction and the efficiency of planetary gear systems, and to observe the effect of design configuration on the efficiency.
- Calculate heat transfer rate and temperature distribution in steady-state one-dimensional heat conduction problems.
- Calculate the rate of steady heat transfer in fins, and unsteady heat transfer in lumped-capacitance and semi-infinite solid problems.
- Explain the terms in the governing equations for convective heat and mass transfer.
- Estimate convective transfer rates on the basis of geometric and dynamic similarity, and analogy between different convective transport processes.
- Calculate heat and mass transfer rates in external and internal flows, including flat plates, cylinders, pipes, heat exchangers, and free convection at vertical surfaces.
- Apply the laws of radiation to compute heat transfer rates for surfaces, such as black bodies and diffuse gray surfaces, with appropriate approximations.
- Calculate and use the view factor for simple surface combinations, and the total emissivity for surfaces.
- Work in teams to conduct experiments effectively and efficiently.
- Compile, analyze and interpret collected experimental data and prepare technical reports.
- Cam & Dynamic Balancing
- Degrees of Freedom & Gear Train
- Intro to Conduction
- Thermal Conductivity
- Extended Surfaces
- Internal External Flow Forced Convection
- Free Convection
- Intro to Radiation
- Stefan-Boltzmann Law
- Solar Lab
- Energy Engineering Lab
- Project: Design Experiment
- Project: Build Experiment
- Project: Test Experiment