Energy Engineering Lab I
EEN 22501/ 1 Cr.
Experiments on testing thermodynamics, parametric design and electrochemistry.
- Available Online: No
- Credit by Exam: No
- Laptop Required: No
Co-requisite: EEN 22001.
Recommended to take ENGR 29700 before or at the same time as this course.
- Understand the important of crystal structures. Determine atoms per lattice site and atoms per unit cell for varying crystal structure. Calculate the coordination number and atomic packing factor (APF). Identify crystalline planes and directions.
- Measure the solubility of potassium nitrate as a function of temperature. Use experimental data to calculate the equilibrium constant, enthalpy, entropy, and free energy of the dissolution reaction.
- Understand the theory and use of kinetics. Work with equations expressing rates in terms of equation order.
- Understand the collision theory. Understand the effect of particle size, temperature, concentration and catalyst on reaction rate.
- Understand the nature of electrochemical cells. Understand how to build and measure voltage of electrochemical cells.
- Understand the difference between galvanic and electrolytic cells. Understand how electrolytic cell works.
- Build an electrode for lithium-ion battery. Understand how lithium battery works. Distinguish different types of materials that can be used to make electrodes. / Gaining knowledge of Dry Cell Batteries. Oxidation-reduction reaction and electrons flow. Current change and voltage change under different situations. Batteries connection in series and in parallel.
- Build a lithium-ion button cell. Understand how lithium battery works. Distinguish different types of electrode materials.
- Knowledge on using PTC Creo to output to 3D printer.
- Validate the final design through simulation and/or prototyping.
- Utilize computer-aided design tools in engineering design problems.
- Use PTC Creo to create solid models of various objects.
- Knowledge to use PTC Creo to extract two-dimensional engineering drawings from a solid model.
- Knowledge to use PTC Creo to assemble three-dimensional parts.
- Document the design activities and outcomes through product development file, drawings, and personal design electronic notebook.
- Compile, analyze and interpret collected experimental data and prepare technical reports.
- Structure of Crystalline Solids
- Laboratory Experiments in electrolytic, galvanic cells
- Laboratory Experiments in batteries and power
- Laboratory Experiments in chemical kinetics
- Laboratory Experiments in thermodynamics
- Creo Review & Advanced Topics