- Submission of the online application to the campus.
- Evidence of current board-certification status (MT-BC)
- A minimum of 3 years (or its equivalent) of clinical practice as a music therapist
- Three letters of recommendation from professionals familiar with your academic, clinical, or research background.
- A statement of purpose
- Foreign students must take the TOEFL or IELTS. The minimum scores as required by the Indiana University Graduate School will be enforced.
- The GRE is NOT required for admission or continued studies
For applicants who have already completed a master’s degree, a transcript review by the MAT Music Therapy Graduate Committee will determine if any credits qualify are applicable to the Ph.D. requirements. If the applicant completed a thesis-based master’s degree, up to thirty (30) credits can be transferred. Specifically, up to twenty-one (21) credits of graded graduate coursework (equivalent to 500-level or higher) can be applied and up to nine (9) credits of appropriate master’s thesis-level research credit can be applied. If the applicant completed a “coursework only” master’s degree, up to twenty-one (21) credits of graded graduate coursework (equivalent to 500-level or higher) can be applied.
Applicants entering the program post-BS who are interested in earning an MS in Music Therapy prior to continuing their Ph.D. work will be advised to take appropriate coursework and if applicable, master’s thesis-level research credit, that qualifies toward the Ph.D. in Music Therapy requirements.