MS in Music Therapy
Coursework for this degree includes required music therapy core courses, elective courses, and a science specialization (including the thesis). Elective courses allow students to explore areas such as public health, diversity, equity, and inclusion in healthcare, public policy, ethics, special education, and organizational leadership. Students may select courses to fulfill the science specialization with the approval of the department and advisor.
- Submission of the online application to the campus.
- Current music therapy board certification or international equivalent.
- All official transcripts of undergraduate and graduate study.
- Minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for the undergraduate degree.
- Online audio/video content demonstrating musical competence on piano, voice, and guitar.
- Three letters of recommendation in support of the application (they may be on business letterhead or submitted through the online application link).
- In-person or telephone interview with graduate faculty member.
- Application fee payable through the online application.
30 credit hours* for degree, including:
- 12 hours in core courses (at the 500 level or above)
- 9 hours of approved electives (at the 400 level or above)
- 9 hours of science specialization (at the 400 level or above)
Minimum grade point average:
- 3.0 average to continue;
- No grades lower than "B" in core courses and cognate fields will be counted toward the degree
- No grades lower than "C" will be counted toward the degree;
- Residency requirement (on-campus student only), 3 consecutive summers or 1 summer and a contiguous academic term.