Coursework for this degree includes required core courses and elective courses within a cognate field. Elective courses allow students to explore business applications common to music, industry and arts education. Students may select courses to fulfill the cognate field area from an approved courselist in the areas of business, communications, computer science, education, fine arts, law or others with the approval of the department and advisor.
MS in Music Therapy
- Submission of the online application to the campus.
- Bachelor's degree and evidence of substantial music instruction, performance, and literacy.
- All official transcripts of undergraduate and graduate study.
- Minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for the undergraduate degree.
- Online audio/video content demonstrating musical competence on piano, voice, and guitar.
- Three letters of recommendation in support of the application (they may be on business letterhead or submitted through the online application link).
- In-person or telephone interview with graduate faculty member.
- Application fee payable through the online application.
30 credit hours* for degree, including:
- 12 hours in core courses (at the 500 level or above)
- 9 hours of approved electives (at the 400 level or above)
- 9 hours of science specialization (at the 400 level or above)
Minimum grade point average:
- 3.0 average to continue;
- No grades lower than "B" in core courses and cognate fields will be counted toward the degree
- No grades lower than "C" will be counted toward the degree;
- Residency requirement (on-campus student only), 3 consecutive summers or 1 summer and a contiguous academic term.