Introduction to Music Business
MUS-Z 340/ 3 Cr.
An introduction to the behind-the-scenes view of today's commercial music and entertainment industries. The course will include an overview of the various careers in the music industry.
- Available Online: Yes
- Credit by Exam: No
- Laptop Required: No
All You Need to Know About the Music Business: Ninth EditionBy Donald S. Passman
- Explore the process of finding and signing new talent.
- Cover copyright standards from an artist perspective as well as the record label and pushing firm.
- Describe contracts for the artist and between the record label.
- Illustrate what it takes to put on a live concert.
Students will be able to do the following by the end of the semester:
- Paraphrase the process involved in signing artist, producing and distributing recordings, and live performance promotion.
- Identify and describe the contribution of the various roles inherent in music business.
- Compare and contrast publishing, recording and touring elements of the music business.
- Compare and contrast the favorability of recording contract terms from multiple perspectives.
- Distinguish among and describe the various revenue streams within the music business.
- Differentiate and describe the significance of the various rights contained within copyright law as it pertains to musical artist, record companies and publishers.
- Promoting a concert
- Intellectual Properties
- The difference between record labels and publishing companies.
Principles of Undergraduate Learning (PULs)
4. Intellectual Depth, Breadth, and Addictiveness (major emphasis)
3. Integration and Application of Knowledge (major emphasis)
5. Understanding Society and Culture (moderate emphasis)
2. Critical Thinking (moderate emphasis)