Philosophy and Theory in Music Therapy
MUS-N 530/ 3 Cr.
Philosophical and theoretical foundations of the use of music in therapy. Philosophical positions concerning science, knowledge development, theory construction, and values augment critical-thinking skills. Theories, models, and conceptual frameworks guide to topical inquiry.
- Available Online: Yes
- Credit by Exam: No
- Laptop Required: No
Bruscia, K. (2014). Defining Music Therapy (3rd ed.) Gilsum, NH: Barcelona Publishers. E-ISBN: 9781937440589http://www.barcelonapublishers.com/defining-music-therapy-3rd-edition
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Analyze philosophical perspectives of science as they influence theory development.
- Evaluate the boundaries of music therapy and theories needed for practice.
- Evaluate the ways in which values, ethics, and historical perspectives influence scientific explanation and inquiry.
- Analyze the relationships between philosophical perspectives, problem selection for students, and scientific methodology.
- Evaluate various strategies of theory construction for their applicability to music therapy theory development.