Survey of African American Music
MUS- M 394/ 3 Cr.
This class involves a survey and exploration of black music from its African origins to the present, with special emphasis on its social, economic, and political impact.
- Available Online: Yes
- Credit by Exam: No
- Laptop Required: No
Students will be able to do the following by the end of this semester:
1. Students will be able identify key African-American musical contributors.
2. Create an awareness of styles, forms, and influences that characterize major periods in black music.
3. To enable students to identify the various genres that emerged from black music in the United States.
4. Experience a broad range of repertory through attendance at events such as recitals, concerts, opera and music theater productions, and other types of performances.
5. Students will develop a more in-depth, meaningful understanding and appreciation of the African-American contribution to Western Music and culture.
6. Address culture and history from a variety of perspectives.