MUS- L 101/ 2 Cr.
Fundamentals of contemporary guitar playing with emphasis on simple songs and chords. Acoustic guitar required for class and practice. No previous experience required.
- Available Online: No
- Credit by Exam: No
- Laptop Required: No
- A six-string acoustic guitar
- Guitar picks
- Essential Elements For Guitar by Will Schmid and Bob Morris
- Guitar Tuner (can download as an app for smartphones)
- Metronome (can download as an app for smartphones)
The goal of this course is to provide students with a basic introduction to guitar playing, including aspects of technique, note reading, chord strumming, and solo melodic playing. By the end of the course students should have developed a strong foundation allowing them to develop their musical skills in whatever style(s) they prefer.
- Display a secure and effective technique.
- Learn to read and perform from standard music notation in the first position.
- Learn to play with a pick.
- Learn to play Major, Minor, and Dom7 open position chords in the most common guitar key.
- Learn perform basic strumming patterns.
- Learn to read and perform rhythms including whole, half, quarter, and eighth notes.
- Develop an ability to perform in ensembles.
- Perform basic 12 bar blues pattern.
- Develop a diverse repertoire of beginners music.