Technology as an Applied Instrument
MUS- F 400/ 1-2 Cr.
This course consists of 15 lessons, 30 minutes each, focused on developing musical and accurate rhythmic practices with music technology as the primary instrument. This semester utilizes the combination of a touch-sensitive MIDI Push Controller (MPC) with a personal computer/DAW as the student’s instrument. Throughout the course, there will be many opportunities for individual student assessment of techniques. These lessons are a way to provide students with more direct assessment of their strengths, weaknesses, and goals.
- Available Online: No
- Credit by Exam: No
- Laptop Required: No
- Personal Laptop
- Portable audio interface
- (Minimum) 4x4 touch-sensitive MP Controller (recommendations provided)
- Ableton Live Standard (Suite recommended)
- Metronome (within Ableton is preferred)
- Develop a secure and proper technique
- Learn efficient and effective practice methods
- Develop overall musicianship and musicality
- Utilized music theory knowledge as it applies to instrument instruction
- Demonstrate performed rhythmic proficiency and accuracy
1 (b) Comprehend, interpret, and analyze ideas and facts.
3 (a) Integrate and apply knowledge to enhance their personal lives.
3 (d) Integrate and apply knowledge to work across traditional course and disciplinary boundaries.
4 (a) Show substantial knowledge and understanding of at least one field of study.
4 (b) Compare and contrast approaches to knowledge in different disciplines.
6 (b) Explore, understand, and cultivate an appreciation for beauty and art.