A minor in Computer and Information Technology requires the completion of 24 credit hours of computer technology courses, plus prerequisite requirements in mathematics, and computer applications. Required courses in computer technology are provided in two groupings: (a) core requirements, and (b) a specialty sequence. At least 12 credit hours of the minor must be taken at IUPUI and at least 12 credit hours of the minor must be taken in the CIT program.
Minor in Computer and Information Technology
Students who wish to complete a minor in Computer and Information Technology must already be accepted as a major by some other department on the IUPUI campus. Students should ask their department's academic advisor whether a minor in computer technology is acceptable with their major field.
Prior to continuing into the specialty sequences, a student must have:
- completed the above computer technology minor's prerequisite and core requirements,
- completed 30 credit hours toward his or her major,
- earned a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher.
The student who has met these conditions then selects one of the specialty sequences below and proceeds to complete the four courses of that selected specialty.
CIT Minor Core Requirements (12 credit hours)
All CIT minors require 12 hours of Core Coursework.
Some core courses have equivalents in other academic programs. Consult your academic advisor for more information.
Application Development Specialty
Translate business and user requirements into applications for web and mobile devices.
Application Development Courses
Database Systems Specialty
Query, store, and program databases that support multiple systems.
Database Systems Courses
Information Security Speciality
Integrate security procedures into other IT processes to build robust systems.
Information Security Courses
Network Systems Speciality
Design, implement, and maintain local area and wireless networks.
Network Systems Courses
Web Technologies Specialty
Create front-end web interfaces using industry-standard software and techniques.
Web Technologies Courses
- CIT Minor Core Courses (12 credit hours)
- CIT 21400 - Introduction to Data Management
- CIT 21500 - Web Programming or CIT 24200 - Introduction to ASP.Net Programming or CIT 27000 - Java Programming
- CIT 31200 - Advanced Web Site Design
- CIT 30500 - Android Mobile Application Development or CIT 31300 - Commercial Web Site Development or CIT 34700 - Advanced ASP.NET or CIT 41100 - iOS Mobile Application Development